Saturday, January 3, 2009

Seize the Day and DO NOT hang clothes on it.

The first step in my plan of becoming high maintenance is: MOVE.
I do not mean selling my house and move to an uppity neighborhood. I mean exercise. There are a million reasons rolling though my head why I do not exercise on a regular basis or on any basis for that matter. The main reason is TIME. I do not have the time to exercise. When can I exercise? After work I could go to the gym and take a class. I have done it before and I loved it. But there is very little accountability at the gym. And if I don’t get off work on time then I will miss the class. Or I could plan on going to the class, but something might come up in my husband’s schedule that would make me have to be at home with the boys. I could jog around my neighborhood or at the park, but it is cold and dark outside by the time I get home. All these excuses only lead to one solution: I have to purchase a piece of workout equipment for the house. Bummer. Here’s the thing about that. I know a lot of people that own treadmills, stationary bicycles, gazelles, etc. All they seem to be good for is hanging laundry on. What is the point? If I am actually going to hang up my laundry, I will put it in the closet.

Well, I did it anyway. I went to the sporting goods store and bought an elliptical. I hate treadmills and stationary bikes for many reasons. They are boring and noisy and take up too much space. The list goes on and on. The elliptical takes up just as much space, but it does not have a motor, so it is not very noisy. I figure it offers the benefits of a total body workout rather than just working my legs. It does not offer much space for hanging clothes. And it is sitting right next to my bed so I will see it when I wake up, right before I go to sleep, and several times throughout the day when I pass through the room.

I set my alarm for 6:00 am. I take about five minutes to get ready and then I seize the day! I get on the elliptical and I listen to some Justin Timberlake and I bring SEXY back! There are no interruptions that early in the morning and I cannot blame anyone else if I do not get up and get moving. It is working out pretty well. I worked out thirty minutes four times this week. I have been told that it takes six weeks to form a good habit and only three days to break it. So my plan is to not give myself a break of more than two days a week from the elliptical, and by Valentine’s Day, I should have a GOOD HABIT formed.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!!! That's hilarious about Justin Timberlake song! I can see you signing that too as your elliptical--ling.

    ReplyDelete